Tuesday, March 4, 2008

MBA Interview and Shrinky Dinks

I had my final MBA interview yesterday at Haas (Berkeley). I felt like the interview went really well. The interviewer seemed to "get" my story and I came away with a much better vibe than from my Wharton interview. Now the waiting begins.
Berkeley: April 7
Wharton: April 15th

I've been saying (only half-jokingly) that I hope I get exactly 1 acceptance letter, since 2 leaves me with an extremely tough decision, and 0 would... well, 0 would suck.

Tonight was our weekly den meeting. I asked Sharon (my co-denleader) to prepare tonight's meeting since I've been so tired with the illness. She came up with Shrinky Dinks, which was actually pretty fun. Preheat your oven at 300 degrees, grab the plastic lid off of a takeout salad container, decorate it with colored Sharpies, pop it in the oven, and watch it shrink. Good times.

As you can see from the posted pictures, the baby hummingbirds hatched this morning. I wish I could have captured better pics, but you'll have to take my word for it... they are very cute.

Only a week to go until the Shooting Star. I'm feeling a little bit aloof about it, which worries me. Or maybe it's a good thing. I've been thinking quite a bit about how the bounties affect strategy, but I haven't come to real conclusions about how they will affect my play. I'm going to play some slightly higher buy-in tournaments online over the next week to try to acclimate to playing with more skilled players. My first attempt tonight was almost a success, but just before the money I lost a race with QQ vs AK.

I did win $400 last night playing 5-200 at 101 when I got back from Berkeley. Here's my hand of the night. I pick up AdKd on the button with about $250 in my stack. UTG is very deep, a pretty tight, straightforward guy who I've played against before. He raises to $15, everyone folds (yeah I know, table selection...), and I decide to flat call. Flop comes AQ3, no diamonds. He checks, which with him is either a monster or KK or JJ. Maybe TT. I bet $30 into the $40 pot, and he smooth calls. The turn card is a J, which I hate. He checks again and I check for pot control. The river pairs the 3, and he grabs a stack of chips, puts out $20, another $20, thinks a bit then puts another $20 out, thinks a bit more, then leaves the bet at $60.

Easy fold?

I almost laid it down getting not great odds, but curiosity got the better of me, and he showed QQ. While I was pretty disgusted with myself for the call, I think others would have lost more. Next week, in the Shooting Star, I gotta make that laydown...

TV... Two shows I'm really into right now are American Idol and HBO's In Treatment. Anyone else find David Cook's Rock-ization of Lionel Richie's "Hello" downright... creepy?

I wish I could post about stuff going on at work, but I'm a little nervous about offending people who might stumble upon this blog. I may start posting about work stuff in a restricted-access blog so that I can vent a bit.

Well, sorry for the rambling, but I am new at this. Please leave comments if you're reading so that I know I'm not talking to myself. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

No comments: