Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Hump day

Well, it has been quite a week already. On Sunday we had some friends over for an Easter cookout. We had some yummy tri-tip, chicken, and hot dogs. The kids played Super Smash Bros. Brawl on the Wii while the adults chatted.

Monday, there were some posts on the Business Week B-School forums that Wharton admit notifications were made by phone on Easter Sunday. I hadn't gotten the call and was a little worried until eventually people realized that that the notifications had only gone out to those who had requested early notification. So the waiting begins again...Most people on the forums (who I should know better than to trust by now) are anticipating results at the end of this week, despite the official notification deadline of 4/15.

Yesterday, I left work a little early to get ready for our Den Meeting. When I got home, I noticed something different about the hummingbirds -- one was perched on the side of the nest. They have been looking ready to fly for a couple of days now. Naturally, I got the camera out and shot a couple of pics, but I must have gotten too close, because one of them suddenly flew out of the nest! He (she?) flew over the roof of the house, and I have not seen him (her?) since.

The remaining baby was looking quite lonely, and I quickly set up our webcam to record to try to catch her (his?) first flight. We were soon treated to a visit from the mama bird, who came back to the nest briefly, seemingly to give some encouragement to the remaining baby. As of this morning, the baby is still there. I do have a video of the mama coming back posted. You will want to download it and view it in a bigger window than what's on the blog. Mama makes her appearance about 50 seconds into the video.

By the way, I finally fixed the port routing, so you can now see the video at http://pictures.migdol.net (without the ":81" on the end)

Does anyone know about hummingbird babies? Once they fly out of the nest for the first time, are they expected to come back?

I caught American Idol last night and was glad to see a couple of my favorites, Kristy Lee Cook and Michael Johns, make some "breakout" performances. I think the two that are in trouble tonight are Jason Castro (how stoned was he last night?) and Chikezie. I was sad to see Amanada Overmyer go last week. I liked her style, although I knew she didn't have nearly enough charisma to survive this type of popularity contest.

No comments: